Kirjoittaja Aihe: openSUSE news  (Luettu 187362 kertaa)

0 jäsentä ja 1 Vieras katselee tätä aihetta.

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
Vs: Announcing openSUSE on ARM Release Candidate 1
« Vastaus #120 : 29.07.2014 - klo:19:01 »
Factory moves to Rolling Release Development Model
29 July 2014, 4:30 pm

We are proud to announce that we have just switched our beloved development distribution, openSUSE Factory, to be an independent distribution using the “rolling release” development model. openSUSE Factory is now a tested, reliable and bleeding edge Linux distribution! This change will shorten the stabilization process for our major releases (next up: 13.2) and eliminate the need for pre-releases and milestones.

A more distributed development process for openSUSE In the old development model, an army of packagers would shoot new packages and updates to Factory, with a relatively small team of Factory Maintainers taking care of the integration process of all those packages. This often took a long time to stabilize for a release.

In the new “rolling release” development model, package submissions cannot go to Factory directly. First they have to prove to be functional and trustworthy in a staging project. Staging projects are projects in our Open Build Service where groups of submissions are collected, reviewed, compiled and tested with openQA. But even after the packages survived the staging project, they don’t directly end up in Factory. First all Factory media (e.g. DVDs etc.) are being built and put again through more tests in openQA. The Factory maintainers then decide on the basis of the Factory-To-Test overview if the new packages should be published to the users.

New Factory Workflow

This new Factory development model balances responsibility among packagers, testers and end users while putting more emphasis on automated quality assurance. As a result, openSUSE Factory becomes a reliable, always-ready working distribution.

“With this new openSUSE development model, users get the latest free software packages without waiting for the next release”
said Richard Brown, openSUSE board chair. He continues

With a daily fresh Factory distribution making it easier for those who want to preview and test, we hope to see more users and contributors, leading to faster fixes and even higher quality. Factory is critical as it provides the base technology for openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise, which is used by tens of thousands of organizations around the world.”
Get it while is hot! So there is no excuse not to give Factory a try and provide feedback or, if you are not so interested in living on the edge, to help spreading the word: there is a new (old) kid on the Linux Distributions block: openSUSE Factory!

factory-tested

Thanks This major change in how we develop our distribution would have not been possible without the tireless work of the openSUSE Team from SUSE who drove this process, the openQA developers who integrated all the features and certainly not without our most awesome package maintainers who provided feedback along the way. Thank you guys for another astonishing job completed!

About the openSUSE Project The openSUSE project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. openSUSE creates one of the world’s best Linux distributions, working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community.

The project is controlled by its community and relies on the contributions of individuals, working as testers, writers, translators, usability experts, artists and ambassadors or developers. The project embraces a wide variety of technology, people with different levels of expertise, speaking different languages and having different cultural backgrounds.

About the openSUSE Distribution The openSUSE distribution is a stable, easy to use and complete multi-purpose distribution. It is aimed towards users and developers working on the desktop or server. It is great for beginners, experienced users and ultra geeks alike, in short, it is perfect for everybody! The latest release, openSUSE 13.1, features new and massively improved versions of all useful server and desktop applications. It comes with more than 1,000 open source applications. openSUSE is also the base for SUSE’s award-winning SUSE Linux Enterprise products.

About openQA openQA is the only comprehensive, fully automated Linux distribution testing framework which can run tests on every level of the OS, from core functionality like the kernel up to testing applications like Firefox or LibreOffice. It shows the results in a convenient web interface and allows testers to see screenshots and even videos of the issues found.

Source: openSUSE News

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #121 : 30.07.2014 - klo:13:00 »
Command Line “Somedays” – Part Six
30 July 2014, 11:58 am

Hey guys. Yes, it’s Wednesday, and yes, we’re a day late. Reason? This awesome announcement, that had to take the whole glory of Tuesday. Also, in the future, if there’s an important announcement/release announcement from the project, the CLT series will be postponed.

Anyway, let’s move on to our today’s agenda: The input/output redirection.

Most commands we have used, post their results in the terminal display. But, we can also make them display it in a file, device or input of other commands by redirecting them.

Standard output So, how it basically works is that command line programs usually send the results of commands to a facility called standard output. The standard output then usually sends it to your display, so you can read off of it. But, you can also make it display the results in a text file, like this, using the ‘>’ character (my case):

man zypper > man.txt
What I did here, is I wanted a man page for zypper. But I wanted it in a text file, so I can easily access the results in case I need them (asking for help on the forums, IRC, f.ex.). So what this command did is that it saved the output of man zypper to man.txt in my home folder, which you can see here, opened in gedit (click to enlarge):

man zypper redirectIf I should repeat the command, or use different commands with the same file name output, it would rewrite the file over and over again. So, in that case, if I’d like to have the output redirection append the next results to the existing file, the only thing I have to do is use ‘>>’ instead of ‘>’ the next time.

Standard input Many commands can also accept input from a facility called standard input. By default, it comes from a keyboard, but it can also come from a file. To redirect it, use the inverted character from the one before: ‘<’

The example given is the following:

sort < man.txt

Pipeline To connect multiple commands together, you use pipelines. What pipelines do, is feed the standard output of one command into the standard input of the other command. Mr Shotts’ favorite:

ls – l | less
By using this'| less' trick, you can make any command have scrolling output.

Filters Filters is a commonly used program in pipelines. Filters take a standard input, perform an operation on it, and send the results to the standard output. They can process information in a very powerful way. Here’s a list of the programs, most commonly used as filters. For exercise, look up, or redirect man pages to them to a file!

Filters: sort, uniq, grep (we’ve all seen this one appear all over forums, so I suggest we look into it more), fmt, pr, head, tail, tr, sed, awk.

Finito Once again, halting to a stop for this week. We have only a couple of lessons left, to cover the basics of the CLI, and by the time autumn comes, I hope you’ll be all interested in CLI a little more and continue with some winter explorations! And while doing it, I hope you’ll…

…have a lot of fun!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #122 : 30.07.2014 - klo:19:05 »
GSoC: Open Source Event Manager Organizer Dashboard
30 July 2014, 6:10 pm

In the past 4 months during this years Google Summer of Code (GSoC), a global program that offers student developers stipends to write code for open source software projects, Christian Bruckmayer collaborated with other students and mentors to code a dashboard for the Open Source Event Manager  (OSEM). In this series of three posts Christian will tell you about his project and what he has learned from this experience.

Google Summer of Code 2014 Logo

Hey my name is Christian and I’m a student currently in the third year of the Bachelor of Science course with information systems and management major in Nuremberg, Germany. During my time at university I already was interested in developing web applications and gained first experience. Google Summer of Code at openSUSE was a great opportunity for me to improve my knowledge and work together with other excellent developers. There are only two weeks left which makes now the perfect time to summarize what I have achieved and learned so far.

About the Open Source Event Manager (OSEM) With OSEM it’s incredible easy to set up and manage all tasks to organize a successful open source conference. As conference organizer you can let people register for your event, run a call for papers and create an entertaining schedule out of users proposals. And as participant you have a central place to get all the info about the event.

OSEM

OSEM is used by openSUSE, owncloud and other Free and Open Source projects to run their events, it is written in Ruby on Rails, an open source web application framework. openSUSE has released OSEM as free software, under the MIT license. You can run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve it. The source code and the developers are on github.

My Project: Organizer Dashboard My GSoC project for OSEM is about implementing an organizer dashboard and it’s goal is to make it possible for conference organizers to get a glance at all relevant information about their conference. To simply make organizers aware about how their conference is doing.

What to show on the dashboard? The first thing to do for me and my mentor was to identify which information is the most important for the conference organizers and should therefore be displayed on the new dashboard. I researched what data was available, what competing apps showed and in the end decided together with my mentor on:

• Registrations – People who are going to attend my conference
  • Submissions – Content submitted to my call for papers
  • Program – Content I have accepted out of the submissions.
Choosing a chart library As you can imagine, to present this information nicely we needed a chart library! So my first task was to evaluate various chart libraries and decide which would fit the best for our purpose. Finally we decided to use Chart.js because of it’s simplicity but also powerfulness.

Chart.js Libraries

Gathering the relevant data and presenting it How many people are going to show up? The most important piece of information to show was the progress of the registrations over time. We decided that a week is enough granularity. To get this data I implemented a method in the conference model.

def get_registrations_per_week result = [] reg = registrations.group(:week).count result = calculate_items_per_week(21, 6, reg) result end 
We query the database for all registrations, group them by week and then count them. As you can see :week is a database column, this was nessecary to make this query database independent.

We then go on to cumulate the registrations for each week, with padding on the left side (in case you haven’t registrations in the first weeks).

def calculate_items_per_week(start_week, weeks, hash) # Insert zero if key not in hash (start_week..(start_week + weeks)).each do |key| if !hash[key] hash[key] = 0 end end result = hash.sort.to_h result = hash.values # Cumulate the values sum = 0 result.map { |x| sum += x } end 
So in the end if I have four registrations in week 23, six registrations in week 25 and two registrations in week 26 and my registration period started in week 21 the result would be:

[0, 0, 4, 4, 10, 13] 
That’s a nice dataset to show in a line graph!

OSEM: Registration per Week Chart

What are people submitting to my call for papers? For the call for paper submissions we not only wanted to show the progress but we wanted to show the progress of the different states (e.g. submitted, accepted, confirmed). As it turned out, this was not so easy as initially thought! The reason is that, as you can imagine, the event states change so that we can’t just do a simple database query at rendering time. Instead we have to take a snapshot each week of the event state distribution and save it to our database (like ‘historical data’). Luckily we use the papertrail gem to track the object changes. Therefore I was able to calculate the event state distribution of past conferences, too. :) To get the amount of proposals in a certain state I implemented the following method..

def get_submissions_data result = {} result = get_events_per_week_by_state start_week = call_for_papers.start_week end_week = end_date.strftime('%W').to_i weeks = weeks(start_week, end_week) result.each do |state, values| if state == 'Submitted' result['Submitted'] = pad_array_left_cumulative(start_week, values) else result[state] = pad_array_left_not_cumulative(start_week, values) end end result['Weeks'] =  weeks > 0 ? (1..weeks).to_a : 0 result end 
At first I fetch a hash with the submissions per week for each state. Therefore I implemented the helper method

get_events_per_week_by_state
which selects the values from the database and returns a result that looks something like this:

{ 'Submitted' => {22 => 1, 24 => 2}, 'Confirmed' => {23 => 1, 25 => 2}, 'Unconfirmed' => {22 => 1, 24 => 2} } 
We only keep in account proposals that are submitted between the call for papers start and the end of the conference! The next step is similar to the registrations over time with one difference: We just want to cumulate the values for submitted proposals and not for the other states. Let me explain that a little bit more. To get the submitted proposals we can do a simple database query (it’s very similiar to registrations over time) but for the other states we have to take a snapshot at the end of each week! Because of that it’s not necessary to cumulate the values! Last but not least I add the weeks (the x-axis) to the result hash. The result for the example above would then simple looks like this:

{ 'Submitted' => [0, 1, 1, 3, 3], 'Confirmed' => [0, 0. 1, 0, 2], 'Unconfirmed' => [0, 1, 0, 2, 0], 'Weeks' => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] } 
OSEM: Submissions per week graph

How is my program going to look? Another really essential information for conference organinzers is how the program is going to look. This includes for example how many events do I have for a certain track (e.g. end user, business), difficulty level or a special type (e.g. short talk, workshop). These information is crucial for the organizers because so they can see if they have to less or to many events for a track. Luckily Chart.js doesn’t only support line charts, it also supports pie charts which is the preferred display mode for these information. The following image shows how this feature does look:

OSEM Graphs

To get the track distribution I implemented for example the following method:

def tracks_distribution(state = nil) if state tracks_grouped = events.where('state = ?', state).group(:track_id) else tracks_grouped = events.group(:track_id) end calculate_track_distribution_hash(tracks_grouped, tracks_counted) end 
As you can see in the image above, we have two different tabs for this feature. The first tab shows the conference programm for all submitted proposal no matter in which state they are (e.g. submitted or rejected) and the second tab shows how the program would look only for the confirmed proposals! To meet this requirement, our function is generic: If you just call

tracks_distribution
you will get the information for all proposals and if you call

tracks_distribution(:confirmed)
(or any other state) you will get the information just for this state.

def calculate_track_distribution_hash(tracks_grouped, tracks_counter) result = {} tracks_grouped.each do |event| if event.track result[event.track.name] = { 'value' => tracks_counter[event.track_id], 'color' => event.track.color } end end result end 
The function

calculate_track_distribution_hash
then simply assigns each track the amount of proposals and the associated hex color. The result would simple look like this:

{ 'Workshop' => { 'value' => 10, 'color' => '#00FF00'} 
Show, don’t tell In the end, if you plug all of this together, we ended up with a nice dashboard for conference organizers.

OSEM Dashboard

What’s left for the remaining GSoC time? Because of the new features that my GSoC colleagues and I implemented over the past weeks the admin interface has become very complex and confusing. As you can imagine, that’s very bad because an interface should be simple, easy and comprehensible. Otherwise the organizers won’t use our awesome new features. Reconsider and refactor the admin interface and menu will be my task for the remaining few weeks.

I hope you enjoyed this article, I’m looking forward to your comments below. And don’t forget to check out my second post in this series next week! It will be about Conference Targets and Campaigns.

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #123 : 01.08.2014 - klo:01:00 »
MATE 1.8.1 Available on openSUSE
31 July 2014, 9:31 pm

After GNOME 2.x passed the torch to GNOME 3, a lot of people started to wonder what is the perfect graphical user interface for them. Many users moved to Xfce, since it offers kind of a similar user experience to the late GNOME 2.x. But for those  still fond of the GNOME 2.x environment, there is a fork of GNOME 2 available, and it’s called MATE Desktop Environment.

mate-version

The MATE Desktop Environment fork of GNOME2 was started by an Arch Linux user named perberos (you can read his forum announcement here). The project started by mostly maintaining GNOME 2 packages. Many developers joined the project later on, so MATE Desktop Environment caught on quite successfully, improving vastly in the years past. There are also plans afoot to move to GTK3, wayland etc.

Applications Do you remember the native GNOME applications? MATE Desktop developers renamed them. Here is the list:

• Alacarte is renamed Mozo.
  • Nautilus is renamed Caja.
  • Metacity is renamed Marco.
  • Gedit is renamed Pluma.
  • Eye of GNOME is now known as Eye of MATE.
  • Evince is renamed Atril.
  • File Roller is renamed Engrampa.
  • GNOME Terminal is renamed MATE Terminal.
  • About GNOME is renamed About MATE
  • Calculator is renamed MATE Calculator
  • GNOME control center is renamed MATE control center
  • GNOME Screenshot is renamed MATE Screenshot
  • Zenity is renamed MATE Dialog
  • gweather is renamed mateweather
And more is yet to come…

MATE and openSUSE The first MATE version available on openSUSE was the 1.6 incarnation, but recently the ever diligent openSUSE MATE team succeeded in adding  MATE Desktop environment to Factory repositories. That means that next openSUSE version, 13.2, will include MATE Desktop officially!

Mate Yast

We have changed our repository scheme to avoid people having to change their repositories for each update. Everything is now unified in only one repository, X11:MATE:Current, so you don’t have to go through the repo-changing  hassle every release.

To install MATE, visit our Portal  and utilise the one click install ymp files (simply click on the icons next to the appropriate version).

Contact us If you have any questions, please, don’t hesitate to contact us.

You can find pretty much all the needed information regarding MATE on openSUSE at:

And remember…

…have a lot of fun!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #124 : 05.08.2014 - klo:19:00 »
Command Line Tuesdays – Part Seven
5 August 2014, 1:37 pm

Heya geekos. I’ve checked the ‘curriculum’, and we’re at part 7 of 8 as of today. Which means there will be one more – and sadly final – CLT next tuesday. So for today, let’s deal with some permissions!

As we all know, we can have many users using one machine. To protect the users from each other, permissions have been devised. And we have already discussed file permissions, so let’s refresh our memories with a single click.

chmod The chmod command is used for changing permissions on a directory or a file. To use it, you first type the chmod command, after that you type the permissions specification, and after that the file or directory you’d like to change the permissions of. It can be done in more way, but mr Shotts focuses on the octal notation method.

Imagine permissions as a series of bits. For every permission slot that’s not empty, there’s a 1, and for every empty one there’s a 0. For example:

rwx = 111

rw- = 110

etc.
And to see how it looks in binary:

rwx = 111 —> in binary = 7

rw- = 110 —> in binary = 6

r-x = 101 —> in binary = 5

r– = 100 —> in binary = 4
Now, if we would like to have a file with read, write and executing permissions for the file owner and for the group owner of the file, but make it unavailable to all other users, we do:

chmod 770 example_file
…where example_file is any file you’d like to try this command on. So, you always have to enter three separate digits, for three separate groups known already from our second lesson. The same can be done for directories.

su and sudo It is sometimes needed for a user to become a super user, so he can accomplish a task (usually something like installing software, for example). For temporary accessing to the super user mode, there’s a program called su, or substitute user. You just have to type in

su
and type your superuser password, and you’re in. However, a word of warning: don’t remember to log out and use it for a short period of time.

Also there’s an option probably more used in openSUSE and Ubuntu, and it’s called sudo. Sudo is only different in the aspect, that it’s a special command that’s allocated to one specific user. So unlike su, with sudo you can use your user password instead of the superuser’s password. Example:

sudo zypper in goodiegoodie
Changing file and group ownership To change the owner of the file, you have to run chown as a superuser. For example, if I’d want to change ownership from ‘nenad’ to ‘suse’, I do it this way:

su

[enter password]

chown suse example_file
I can also accomplish the same with changing group ownership, but with a slightly different command chgrp. Easy peasy:

chgrp suse_group example_file
…and that’s it.

Next time As I already stated, next time we’ll have a photo-finish of sorts. And after that, you’ll be on your own (along with me, wandering through the terminal’s darkness, with only a blinking green cursor as a lighthouse  :) ). Until then geekos, remember to…

…have a lot of fun!  

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #125 : 07.08.2014 - klo:01:00 »
GSoC: Open Source Event Manager Goals & Campaigns
6 August 2014, 9:11 pm

In the past 4 months during this years Google Summer of Code (GSoC), a global program that offers student developers stipends to write code for open source software projects, Christian Bruckmayer collaborated with other students and mentors to code a dashboard for the Open Source Event Manager (OSEM). In this series of posts Christian will tell you about his project and what he has learned from this experience.

Google Summer of Code 2014 Logo

Hey there, Christian here again. This is my second post in a three post series about my GSoC project, last week I explained the dashboard in my post OSEM: Conference Dashboard. You should go and read that if you haven’t already! This week I would like to tell you about another feature that I have implemented during this summer: Conference Goals & Campaigns.

Setting expectations for a conference While working on the dashboard it became more and more evident that conference organizers have expectations about registrations, call for paper submissions and the program. Stuff like

• I need more than 50 people to attend to make the conference a success.
  • I need at least a hundred submissions by next month to build a reasonable schedule.
  • In the end I have room for 21 hours of program on my schedule.
Targets We came up with the idea to express these expectations as Targets to be able to compare them to the actual data. I believe that goals are very important, regardless in business or private life, to get motivated, move forward and measure your success! Already at university I learned that setting up goals is not an easy process and we learned different methods for this task. We wanted to make these process as easy as possible so we decided to use the well-known SMART criteria to help the conference organizers. These criteria say that goals should be:

• Specific: The goal should be clear and unambiguous
  • Measurable: The goal should be trackable
  • Achievable: The goal is realistic and manageable
  • Relevant: The goal should matter for your conference
  • Time-bound: The goal should be achieved in a specific period of time
To fulfill these criteria we decided to implement the Goal model with the following attributes:

• due_date
  • goal_count
  • unit
The goal is now specific (10 (goal_count) registrations (unit)) and measurable (we can compare the goal with the current registrations, submissions and program hours). Furthermore we believe that the decided units registrations, submissions and program hours are very important and relevant for each conference. And last but not least it’s time-bound (due_date). The conference organizer is now only responsible to set up realistic and achievable goals!

To get the current progress of the goal I simply implemented the following method:

def get_progress numerator = 0 if unit == Goal.units[:submissions] numerator = conference.events.where('created_at < ?', due_date).count elsif unit == Goal.units[:registrations] numerator = conference.registrations.where('created_at < ?', due_date).count elsif unit == Goal.units[:program_minutes] numerator = conference.current_program_hours end (numerator / goal_count.to_f  * 100).round(0).to_s end 
Depending of the unit I query the current amount of it and divide it by the goal count. That’s it!

Campaigns Another idea we came up are marketing campaigns. This is an incredible useful feature for organizers, because now they not only know how many, but also where the registrations and proposal submissions are coming from. For this feature we make heavily use of Ahoy, a Ruby on Rails extension which provides a solid foundation to track visits and events. With Ahoy we can now simply track a registration like this:

def register ... ahoy.track 'Registered', title: 'New registration' ... end
Now we know whether the registration comes from our blog article or a tweet! That’s awesome, isn’t it?

OSEM Campaigns List

In addition you can combine the marketing campaign with specific targets. If an organizer for example wants to generate 20 registrations with a tweet, he can generate a target ’20 registrations’ and then attach it to an campaign. Now he can easily monitor the success of his goal.

For this to work I had to implement the following method:

def get_campaign numerator = 0 if unit == Goal.units[:submissions] numerator = campaign.submissions_count elsif unit == Goal.units[:registrations] numerator = campaign.registrations_count elsif unit == Goal.units[:program_minutes] numerator = campaign.current_program_hours end progress = (numerator / goal_count.to_f  * 100).round(0).to_s result = { 'goal_name' => to_s, 'campaign_name' => campaign.name, 'value' => numerator, 'unit' => unit, 'created_at' => created_at, 'progress' => progress, 'days_left' => days_left, } result end 
In the end we calculate a hash with all the relevant data which we display on our dashboard:

campaigns_targets

That’s it for the Goals & Campaigns feature of the Open Source Event Manager. I hope you again enjoyed my summary, next week I’m going less technical on you and will tell you what GSoC taught me. Till then!

Don’t forget to check out my other posts in this series

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #126 : 07.08.2014 - klo:19:01 »
Official 13.1 Docker Containers Released
7 August 2014, 3:00 pm

We are proud to announce official Docker containers for our latest openSUSE release, 13.1. Docker is an open-source project that automates the deployment of applications inside software containers. With the official openSUSE Docker containers it’s now easy for developers to leverage the power of our Linux distribution and it’s free software Eco-system as base for their applications.

openSUSE + Docker == Awesome The Docker project was released in March last year. Until now, during this short amount of time, more than 450 people contributed with patches and 14,000 containers have been published on its central index. Docker recently released version 1.0, the first one declared enterprise-ready.

The container technology has been around since quite some time, think about FreeBSD jails, Solaris zones, OpenVZ, LXC. However none of these tools has ever attracted as much attention as Docker. Docker has been so successful because it makes easy to harness the power of containers and at the same time it provides two important features: a developer oriented work flow to manage containers’ life cycle and a set of collaborative functionalities.

openSUSE at Docker Hub

Managing Docker images shares analogies with version control systems used to track the evolution of source code. Containers are stored on a central repository called Docker Hub. Users can download them using the “pull” command. They can “diff” a running container to see which changes have been made. They can fork containers and “push” their derived work back to the Docker Hub.

The creation of new containers starting from the existing ones is achieved using Docker’s integrated build system. The feature is based on a special file called “Dockerfile”, a text file containing a list of Docker build directives. These commands can do several operations like: select the image to extend, execute a command inside of the container at build time, expose a service running inside of the container to the outside world and more.

Starting today the Docker Hub provides official openSUSE containers for our stable releases. This container can be used as a foundation block to create new awesome containers based on our beloved Linux distribution.

Try the official openSUSE docker containers The first thing to do is to install Docker by following the official installation instructions for openSUSE. Users of Factory can install docker straight from the main repository. The same should happen pretty soon to Tumbleweed users (the docker package is currently staged in the Tumbleweed:testing repository).

To download the official openSUSE container just run:

docker pull opensuse:13.1

To run a program inside of the container use the following command:

docker run opensuse:13.1

There are several options for the docker run command, please refer to Docker’s documentation. However, a use case which is worth mentioning regards the execution of an interactive shell inside of the container. This can be achieved by using the following command:

docker run -t -i opensuse:13.1 /bin/bash

Creating a docker application based on the official containers is easy too. Just use Docker’s build system and create a Dockerfile like this one:

FROM opensuse:13.1 MAINTAINER  "" # make sure the repositories are up to date RUN zypper --non-interactive --gpg-auto-import-keys ref RUN zypper in -y  
Then from the directory containing the Dockerfile run:

docker build -t .

At the end of the build process the new image will be added to your list of local images.

For more complex images (like ones exposing services running inside of them), please refer to Docker’s documentation.

Let’s Collaborate! If you find something about our containers that can be improved, please collaborate with us. We have created the docker containers with KIWI, openSUSEs Operating System Image and Appliance builder which is the basis of SUSE Studio and the imaging functionality of the Open Build Service. The files used to create these images are available in our Github repository. They are free software, released under the MIT license. You can run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve them.

Thank you We have to thank Flavio Castelli, maintainer of the Docker package, for the creation of these containers, the KIWI developers for adding the docker build format and finally the Docker team for marking these containers as official on the Docker Hub.

About openSUSE The openSUSE Project is a worldwide community that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. It creates one of the world’s best Linux distributions, working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community. The project is controlled by its community and relies on the contributions of individuals, working as testers, writers, translators, usability experts, artists and ambassadors or developers. The project embraces a wide variety of technology, people with different levels of expertise, speaking different languages and having different cultural backgrounds. Learn more about it on opensuse.org

About Docker Docker is an open platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications. Consisting of Docker Engine, a portable, lightweight runtime and packaging tool, and Docker Hub, a cloud service for sharing applications and automating workflows. Docker enables apps to be quickly assembled from components and eliminates the friction between development, QA, and production environments. As a result, IT can ship faster and run the same app, unchanged, on laptops, data center VMs, and any cloud. Learn more about it on docker.com

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #127 : 09.08.2014 - klo:01:01 »
REMINDER: openSUSE Asia Summit Logo Contest Continues!
8 August 2014, 8:07 pm

Heya there geekos! As we have already reported, there’s an ongoing contest for the official logo for the openSUSE Asia Summit. You can read the announcement here. There have been proposals coming our way, but…

Terry Crews Yelling

For that reason, we’re issuing a reminder for all geekos with a sense of design to help us make this summit successful as it can and should be. You won’t be doing it for the sheer thrill of it, though. You can do it for the geeko pride of having your logo printed all over the place an all of promotional material, and, to top it off, there’s a super secret Geeko prize!

We kindly invite you to join our effort, and hope to have our mailbox crammed with suggestions come deadline, August 18th. And here are the super simple rules for all the potential contestants:

• We will accept only SVG format for original design. Both color and monochrome(black and white) version are required.
  • The elements of your design should reflect the openSUSE community in Asia.
  • Please note that there are some things should not be used in your design:elements of your design should reflect the openSUSE community in Asia.
    • No brand names or trademarks of any kind.
    • No illustrations some may consider inappropriate, offensive, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous.
    • No sexually explicit or provocative images.
    • No images of weapons or violence.
    • No alcohol, tobacco, or drug use imagery.
    • No designs which promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against groups or individuals; or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
    • No religious, political, or nationalist imagery.
  • Your artwork should comply with “openSUSE Project Trademark Guidelines” published at: https://en.opensuse.org/File:OpenSUSE_Trademark_Guidelines.pdf
  • You should also agree that the openSUSE community have right to interpret the usage of the artwork.
  • All your artwork will be licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0.
A few simple guidelines can be found at:

Please send your design to opensuse.asia@gmail.com directly. It should contain the following:

• Vector file of the design in attachement, with svg format ONLY.
  • Bitmap of design in attachment – image size: 256*256px at least. Format: png or jpg. Less than 512KB.
  • Your name.
  • Where are you working/studying now. (optional)
  • Your phone number. (optional)
The contest is open from now until Aug 18, 2014. After that, the openSUSE.Asia team will filter all submitted designs and put the ones which meet the requirements to the website for voting.

Note:

• The final decision will be made by openSUSE.Asia Summit Committee. Please understand that the highest vote score of the design may not be designated as the final winner.
  • To create your artwork, we recommend to use Inkscape, which is a powerful vector graphics tool for all kinds of design. It’s free and open sourced.
  • The article has been updated after discussion with openSUSE Asia team regarding entry rules.
That’s about it. And remember…

Uncle Sam

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #128 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
REMINDER: openSUSE Asia Summit Logo Contest Continues!

Heya there geekos! As we have already reported, there’s an ongoing contest for the official logo for the openSUSE Asia Summit. You can read the announcement here. There have been proposals coming our way, but… … For that reason, we’re issuing a reminder for all geekos with a sense of design to help us make […]

Source: REMINDER: openSUSE Asia Summit Logo Contest Continues!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #129 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
Command Line Tuesdays – Part Eight

Yo yo, geekos! Here we are, for the final chapter of our CLT hangout. Today, we’ll be talking about job control through which we’ll learn how to control processes running on our computer! An Example As we have learned, we can run programs directly from the CLI by simply typing the name of the program. […]

Source: Command Line Tuesdays – Part Eight

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #130 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
Need a Wallpaper Changer for GNOME? Try Variety!

openSUSE, despite the vastness of the www stating it’s primarily a KDE distro, prides itself in offering a one stop shop for your operating system needs, regardless of your desktop environment preferences. And it’s true. For a couple of months, I’ve been running openSUSE GNOME exclusively on my laptop. And it worked like a charm. […]

Source: Need a Wallpaper Changer for GNOME? Try Variety!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #131 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
openSUSE News Team Needs Your Feedback!

Heya geekos! We love the fact that the openSUSE News section is being generally well-adopted and well read. But, we’d like to do more, and do better! And for that, we need your input. Don’t worry, we won’t demand any 10000 characters super-articles (for now :P), but what we would like from you is to […]

Source: openSUSE News Team Needs Your Feedback!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #132 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
GSoC: What I have learned

In the past 4 months during this years Google Summer of Code (GSoC), a global program that offers student developers stipends to write code for open source software projects, Christian Bruckmayer collaborated with other students and mentors to code a dashboard for the Open Source Event Manager (OSEM). In this series of posts Christian will […]

Source: GSoC: What I have learned

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #133 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
openSUSE News Survey – Responses

Hi there, green machine users! As you know, there has been a survey going on about your favorite news spot. It was our way of feeling your pulse a little, to see what you desire the most, where do we excel and where do we leave something to be desired for. And the results have […]

Source: openSUSE News Survey – Responses

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #134 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
openSUSE Asia Summit – Choose our Logo

Following the announcement of our logo contests, thanks to our awesome community as usual, we now have several logos. Choosing the best of them off course was a lot of work for us and so the openSUSE Asia committee has decided that the community will choose its own logo for the summit. We are happy […]

Source: openSUSE Asia Summit – Choose our Logo

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #135 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
Things I learnt with the Zorp and openSUSE Team

Greetings everyone, this is Peter from Hungary. In the last few months I have spent a lot of time and effort to give something to the open source community in the framework of GSoC. The aim of my project was to implement a Load Balancer as a Service (LBaaS) Zorp (http://www.balabit.com/network-security/zorp) driver for OpenStack (http://www.openstack.org/) […]

Source: Things I learnt with the Zorp and openSUSE Team

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #136 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
Thank you mentors for an amazing GSoC!!!

Another Google Summer of Code has come to an end. This year has been particularly satisfying as we achieved 100% success. All of our students passed their final evaluation and a lot of code has been pushed upstream. Though the students deserve a big round of applause, special credit has to be given to the […]

Source: Thank you mentors for an amazing GSoC!!!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #137 : 07.09.2014 - klo:08:29 »
Factory: Over 6000 installations and growing!

Since the announcement at the end of July of the new Factory development model, the machinery worked tirelessly releasing more than 15 Factory snapshots during the next month. As you can see in the changelogs that are published in the openSUSE-Factory mailing list following every snapshot, the changes are not restricted to leaf packages. The […]

Source: Factory: Over 6000 installations and growing!

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #138 : 09.09.2014 - klo:10:00 »
Gopesh talks about his GSoC Experience as an openSUSE student

GSoC:My journey with openSUSE begins Hello everyone, I am Gopesh Tulsyan from India.I got involved with openSUSE community during GSoC to add features to OSEM(Open Source Event Manager Application).I am currently studying  Information Technology in National Institute of Technology, Durgapur ,India. During GSoC I added two big features to OSEM, one is the Event Splash […]

Source: Gopesh talks about his GSoC Experience as an openSUSE student

Poissa openSUSE.fi

• RSS botti
  • Jäsen
« Vastaus #139 : 12.09.2014 - klo:20:02 »
openSUSE.Asia Summit 2014 – We have a Logo now

We are pleased to announce that the winner of our Logo Design contest is the No.8 candidate authored by *W.H*! Congratulations, *W.H*! W.H’s logo has been chosen as the official logo.   A heartfelt thanks from the openSUSE Asia community to all the logo designers for their time and effort, as well as the voters […]

Source: openSUSE.Asia Summit 2014 – We have a Logo now